As you can see, I'm packed very light. Even lighter, if you consider the number of ridiculous objects I'm taking (which would not be with me on an ordinary summer trip):
- 50 posters to give out to my research participants & others in town
- an audio recorder
- my laptop
- some American food items as gifts in case I'm invited to eat with a family
- field notebooks
- a warm jacket and long underwear
- a raincoat AND an umbrella AND a rainfly for my pack (it's the rainy season)
But I haven't left out some essentials that are not completely essential:
- pajamas
- Tevas AND flip flops
- snacks
I'm actually rather amazed myself that it ended up being so small. Plus, it's evenly balanced, with the posters on my back and the laptop in the daypack. I used the onebag.com packing list, though I didn't even take everything on there (dressy jacket??) I think the major space savings are not taking any extra pants (I do have a skirt, but no shorts) and not taking any extra shoe-type shoes. There are also only two long-sleeved shirts and two T-shirts.
I love packing- with all my travels, it's become something of a science.
Today's Q'anjob'al tip is about the letter X. It's pronounced like SH, except farther back in the mouth. If you say "shrink," that's about the right sound. TX is pronounced like CH, except farther back- kind of like "trees" said by a child as "chrees."
You and my pastor John David must be kindred spirits.
ReplyDeletehttp://johndavidthacker.blogspot.com/2009/06/one-bag-black.html
Okay, with that information, I think I can pretty much decode the entire spelling system. But how do you pronounce the "r"? Is it also retroflex?
ReplyDeleteAnd what's the difference between the "j" and the "y"? Is "j" a voiced affricate?
And does "jolom" mean "bald"? :-)
-Steve
The R is only in Spanish borrowings, so it´s pronounced like Spanish. (Incidentally, padre "priest" was borrowed as "pale," but at some point after that they picked up the R.)
ReplyDeletej is (x) as in Spanish and y is (j) as in English.
I think jolom means head, because jolom konob (the former name of Santa Eulalia) means head village.
Also, why can´t the b´ be voiced? Implosives can be voiced... actually I think Ryan hooked Antil up to the air machine thingy and found that the b´ is not really implosive.