Thursday, June 4, 2009

no standerdizd speling

Q'anjob'al doesn't quite have a standardized spelling yet... the bible has one system, and the dictionary has a slightly different one. People spell differently based on the book they've learned from! (Q'anjob'al wasn't introduced in the schools until quite recently; school was in Spanish.)

Some of the main discrepencies are whether there's a G or C at all (they might really be Q or K), whether H is written/pronounced, and whether SH is supposed to be spelled XH (it probably is.) These are quite troublesome for me since I pretty much represent languages in my mind in written form (take that, linguists!) When I was learning how to write as a child, I refused to write ANYTHING unless an adult would tell me how to spell it correctly.

Here's the Q'anjob'al alphabet, as a poster made by my classmate Jill. I'll be taking 50 of these down to give to people who help me out with my project-- if the printing office has gotten their act together after deleting my order last week because I "couldn't be reached."

No comments:

Post a Comment