Panajachel is also known as “Gringotenango” because there are so many tourists (Guatemalan as well as foreign), which to be honest is rather nice, as no one has commented yet on how tall I am, or held their children up to see my freakish blue eyes. In fact, the people seem to be just the right level of friendliness- willing to say a few words to you, but not with too many catcalls or that sort of thing. People seem to be making a good living in Pana itself- there are Guatemalans on vacation who seem to throw money around, ladinos (of Spanish descent) that run the businesses, and Cakchiquel and Tz’utujil Maya that sell handicrafts, but all three groups seem very laid back and get enough business without chasing you and trying to sell you things.
Moto-taxis are everywhere (I haven’t tried one):
This room costs $5.50. One of the rules is, “If you got DRUNK, don´t do any kind of scandals or disturbs.”:
A bunch of people seem to be collecting sand and gravel for sale in the river:
It’s Corpus Christi, which is celebrated by masked figures chasing kids around, as well as church bell ringing and fireworks before 7 am:
And to think that I was excited to find a room in Fairbanks that only cost $74.
ReplyDeleteI think I need a lawn sign for my football neighbors in Alfred saying "if you get drunk don't do any scandals or disturbs" haha. Then again, that would presume that they were still coherent enough to READ the sign...
ReplyDelete