I{m in Huehuetenango, which I would charitably describe as a complete shithole. Unless you{re fond of huge piles of garbage rotting in the street. (To be fair, I haven{t gotten around to asking anyone if the garbagemen are on strike or something, but we{re talking piles of multiple garbage bags that have been ripped apart by dogs.) The city is also infested with giant loudspeakers. Right across from the church is a loudspeaker store, so while you{re talking to God you can be listening to five second stretches of music interspersed with announcements. My motel also used their ginormous loudspeaker to broadcast religion followed by music at 7:15 am.
The only cool thing in the entire town is the maps- since most people are just passing through, there are lots of maps of the entire province of Huehuetenango. The awesomest one is a sculpted relief map in the central park, which shows how high the places are that I{m going, and where they are in relation to each other and the mountains. It also tells the climate (frio, for me), population and language of each town. I{ll upload it at some point, but right now I have to get the hell out of here!
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yuck! Garbage bags torn open by dogs sounds like my worst nightmare. I'm glad this isn't where you're actually staying. I was worried for a minute that this was actually your research site.
ReplyDelete